As experts in web analytics for ecommerce sites, we often tinker with our data collection ‘engine’ to get the best results. In the latest iteration of our tracking code, we’re proud to announce some major improvements.
Littledata’s V8 Shopify Tracking Code comes with exciting improvements in three major areas: data accuracy, page speed, and versatility.
Improvements for accuracy
We improved the way we track key events so that:
- Product list views are sent only as users scroll down the page and view a product for more than 300 milliseconds (the minimum time a ‘view’ can be processed)
- Product list views and clicks have more accurate position information to help optimize product sort order
- Search pages are also tracked as product lists
- Social shares and clicks on product images on product detail pages are tracked
These new improvements follow other recent improvements we’ve added, which include:
- Using the latest gtag and GTM libraries
- Tracking page views only when the page was actually viewed
Get the Littledata app
Improvements for page speed
Our research on performance has shown that faster page load speed is linked with better ecommerce conversion. With this in mind, we’re reducing the time it takes to load the tracking script.
Here’s how we’re doing it:
- A much smaller data layer for product list pages
- Minified tracking code, hosted on a content delivery network (CDN)
- Moved to server-side tracking of add-to-carts, resulting in smaller script in the browser
- Removed dependence on jQuery
Improvements for versatility
Tracking adds-to-cart is surprisingly hard.
While this is partly due to add-to-cart buttons being targeted by many other scripts, the main culprit is something else — many online stores have a mini-cart or a separate checkout button. This means users may never actually see a ‘cart’ page at all.
Our new V8 Tracking Code bypasses this issue by tracking cart updates from Shopify’s servers without generating any extra or cost for your web servers.
This means that whenever an online shopper adds or removes your product from their cart — whether by clicking on desktop or swiping on mobile — that action will be tracked with 100% accuracy.
How do I get this update?
Currently, V8 is in private beta. In just one week, however, we’ll be updating all Shopify stores to use the new tracking code.
Interested in our V8 beta program? Get in touch with us today!
This updated script, as well as all future improvements, is included with your ongoing Littledata subscription. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy automatically accurate data about your Shopify store performance.