As a Shopify merchant, you probably use a number of marketing strategies to drive unique traffic to your store.
With the help of SEO marketing, PPC ads, and even influencer advertising, you will notice a significant increase in traffic to your site. However, not all new visitors ensure a conversion (most don't), and not all Shopify marketing strategies are created equal.
In fact, over 75% of all online businesses report that new visitors hardly convert or commit to making a purchase.
If you're finding many of your shoppers stop midway through the purchase funnel (either after adding an item to cart or not purchasing after multiple store visits), thenGoogle dynamic remarketing ads sounds like the perfect solution for you. Campaigns from these types of ads result in increased sales and greater visibility among potential buyers.
With the full guide below to creating dynamic remarketing ads that drive higher-quality traffic to your store, you'll give shoppers the extra push they need to convert.
What are Google dynamic remarketing campaigns?
Google’s dynamic remarketing campaigns are special Google Ads campaign types that target users who have already visited your Shopify store at least once.
These campaigns are fully customizable; different ads can be used for different visitors based on their interaction with your store.
As a concept, remarketing ads were born from the idea anyone who has visited your store or clicked on a product must be interested in a purchase. While this may seem like an assumption, the stats don't lie.
The main job of remarketing campaigns is to follow up with visitors and remind them of their initial interest, which inducing them to make the purchase.
For example, let's say you sell sports apparel on your Shopify store. A visitor on your site looks up a pair of Nike shoes, reads the product description, stays on the page for 45 seconds, and then exits the tab.
With a Google dynamic remarketing campaign, you can send targeted ads for Nike shoes to that visitor based on the product page they visited.
You can create these campaigns with multiple iterations as well. For instance, you can split your visitors into customizable audience lists and have Google send out custom ads based on the list they belong to. These lists include shoppers who visited your home page, product pages, added an item to cart, and more.
Why Shopify merchants need Google dynamic remarketing campaigns
There are many advantages of using Google dynamic remarketing ads in order to meet your sales goals and increase your business’s growth. There are many advantages of using Google dynamic remarketing ads in order to meet your sales goals and increase your business’s growth. Here are a few of the best reasons for you to sue such a campaign using a Google ads dynamic remarketing guide.
Reason 1: Encourage shoppers to return to their carts
About 75% of shopping carts are abandoned without a completed checkout. This is where remarketing ads can make a difference. Most shoppers simply browse or add things to their cart for a purchase at a later date.
You can create a campaign that targets such kinds of visitors and remind them of their interest which will nudge them into making a sale. If your store has a special offer, you can also add this to the ad which sweetens the deal for the customer.
Reason 2: Personalized ads
Recent studies by Accenture show that customers prefer personalized ads. Not surprisingly, the chances of a shopper making a purchase increase significantly following a "personalized" ad. Google dynamic remarketing campaigns are tailor-made for ads that feel personal and highly targeted.
One way to do this is sending customized emails based on past shopping behavior on your site. This creates a personal connection with the customer and makes them feel like you care about their experience and patronage.
Reason 3: Returning customers
Returning customers tend to spend more money than any other type of shopper. A remarketing campaign wades through the sea of choices and reminds customers of their previous spending history. These types of targeted ads will boost your sales and create a stronger bond with your customers.
Reason 4: Updating shoppers
One of the top advantages of a remarketing campaign is showing new products to past (interested) visitors.
For example, if you have recently expanded your product line to sell plus-size clothing for women, creating a campaign about this update will keep you relevant. A shopper who couldn’t find her right size (but liked the style of clothes at your store) has a better chance of returning to your store. You can also use the campaign to promote customer loyalty programs.
Reason 5: Great ROI
Blue Mist Marketing found remarketing campaigns cost 56% less than other types of marketing strategies. Google dynamic remarketing campaigns give you relevant data to show exactly how much you are profiting with respect to your time investment. Based on this data, you can create more effective marketing ads.
How to create a dynamic remarketing campaign in Google Ads
Even with minimal coding experience, dynamic remarketing is fairly easy to set up. Google automatically creates 5 different customer match lists based on the pages shoppers have visited on your store. These include:
- Converted customers
- Homepage viewers
- Product Page viewers
- Shopping cart abandoners
- Category Page viewers
You can also customize these lists. However, if this is your first time using dynamic remarketing, we suggest you use Google’s list and make changes later.
Creating a remarketing campaign is a simple 3-step process. For success, carry out the following steps in order:
- Make sure that your Google Merchant Account is linked with your Google Ads account
- Using the right tag, add the Google remarketing pixel to your online store
- Set up a bid after you have created your desired dynamic remarketing ads
Step 1: Link your Google Ads account with your Google Merchant account
1. Go to the Google Merchant Center. Click on the three small dots in the top right-hand corner next to your icon. Click on Account Linking.
2. Add your Customer ID for Google Ads, and then click on ‘Send link request’.
3. Select the Settings to a cog in your Ads account, and click ‘Linked accounts’ from the drop-down menu
4. Select the Google Merchant option
5. You will see a request in your Google Merchant Center like the screenshot below:
6. Select ‘View request’, and click on ‘Approve’.
It will say ‘Approved’. Your Google Merchant Center will be now linked with Google Ads.
Note: If you want to audit your Google Merchant Center, check out the Google Merchant Center audit guide.
Note: If you want to audit your Google Merchant Center, check out the Google Merchant Center audit guide.
Now that you've linked your Google Ads account with your Google Merchant Account. Let’s move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Use the right tag & add the Google remarketing pixel to your Shopify store
- Go to ‘Shared Library’ in Ads, and select ‘Audiences’.
- Select website visitors and click on ‘Set up remarketing’.
- Check the “use dynamic search ads” box and select the type of business from the dropdown. Click on 'Set up remarketing'.
- Select ‘View Ads tag for websites’ and then add the code to have the remarketing pixel on your website.
For Google to build the lists, you'll need to first identify your category pages, home page, checkout pages and product pages.
Step 3: Create your dynamic remarketing ads
Now that your Ads account is linked and you've added the Google remarketing pixel, the next step for you is to create your Dynamic Remarketing Ads:
- Use the Google Display Network to create a new campaign.
- Select the option that says ‘Take action on your website’.
- Name your campaign and fill the settings as you would do for a search campaign.
- Tick the box next to ‘Use dynamic ads’ to confirm that you want to use dynamic ads. Select the business area and the merchant feed you choose for your dynamic ads.
Save the campaign, and create your first ad and relevant ad groups.
How to create Google dynamic remarketing campaigns with AdNabu
AdNabu dynamic remarketing app is a convenient app that helps Shopify merchants simplify process of creating customized and targeted remarketing ads. It takes out all the guesswork and offers full customer support while merchants install and run their ad campaigns.
AdNabu automatically creates the remarketing tag on its own, saving you the effort of doing it yourself. It applies this tag to all of your site pages, scans each relevant visitor profile for matching campaigns and ensures audiences are properly created in Google Ads.
Here is how to easily install the AdNabu dynamic remarketing app:
- Login in to the Shopify app store
- Use the search bar to find AdNabu Dynamic remarketing App
- Select the Google Ads Dynamic Remarketing App
- Select Add App
- Link your Google Ads account
- Login with your Gmail address linked with your Google Ads account
- Read the terms & conditions and allow permission
- Your Shopify store will show a success page. Google Dynamic Remarketing app is now live!
Google Ads conversion tracking for Shopify success
Remarketing ads are a great strategy for stores of all sizes. But if you can't track how ther ads are performing or converting, what's the point?
Linking Google Ads with Google Analytics is the easiest and best way to track your campaigns to make adjustments and improvements over time. But only one tool connects them with 100% data accuracy.
Littledata's smart connection for Google Ads automatically pulls your Shopify data into your Google Ads account, so you can retarget ecommerce segments and track your sales easily. To name a few, the connection:
- Increases your Google Ads ROI with Shopify data for smarter retargeting
- Get back visitors who abandoned cart
- Retarget your users who viewed product details but didn't buy
- Prevents you from wasting money acquiring visitors who have previously purchased
- Get consistent data across both platforms
- View Google Ads costs in Google Analytics
- Connect Littledata's Shopify app for accurate tracking of checkout steps
Note: You can try Littledata free for 2 weeks and test out the connection for yourself!
Google dynamic remarketing campaigns have proven to be a cost-effective, sales-boosting marketing move. One of the biggest advantages of using these campaigns is the ability to capture returning shoppers.
Without a loyal customer base, your store can't survive in a market where merchants live and die by churn. Capturing the attention of shoppers is vital tom Shopify success, and Google dynamic remarketing does just that!
This is a guest post by AdNabu. AdNabu helps improve sales in Google Ads for ecommerce companies. If you are running search, shopping or display campaigns in Google Ads, their software will be able to increase your sales. Sign up today for a 14-day free trial.