The new Google Analytics 4 allows you to add Data Streams (instead of ‘Views’ in Universal Analytics) to a Google Analytics 4 property.
Create a new Data Stream
Follow the steps below to create a new web Data Stream and get a Measurement ID.
- In your Google Analytics account go to Admin > Data Streams, click Add stream and select Web:
- Enter your website’s URL and your desired stream name. Then, click Create stream.
Tip: Turn on the Enhanced Measurement settings
- You can click on the new Data Stream to see your Data Stream details
- Click on the copy icon next to Measurement ID and paste this into Littledata’s app to start tracking
Create a Measurement Protocol API secret
To enable Littledata to add server-side events into your Data Stream (via the Measurement Protocol API), you then need to create a new Measurement Protocol API secret for your Data Stream:
- First, go to your Google Analytics Admin > Data Streams and open your chosen stream:
- Scroll down to the Additional Settings tab and click on Measurement Protocol API secrets; then click Create:
- You will have to create a nickname for your new API secret; we recommend naming this Littledata. Click Create
- You will need to copy the Secret value provided. This value is confidential and should only be shared with Littledata.
- All done!