That works automatically. But in order to get complete subscription analytics that include first-time order data, you need to take a few more steps.
Note: Littledata’s Shopify connection tracks Bold subscriptions automatically, but you need to follow this guide to get complete subscription analytics.
Follow the Basic setup to track first-time orders (first subscription orders), and the Advanced setup to create a separate view for first-time orders in Google Analytics.
- Install Littledata’s Shopify app for Google Analytics
- Activate the Shopify and Google Analytics connections
- Go to your Bold admin
- Go to Settings > General > Set Subscription tag
- Select the ‘Create a tag for the first subscription order’ checkbox
- Add the tag as
first_recurring_order(exact spelling is important)
Tip: Littledata’s Bold connection works for Segment users too. If you’re sending data from Shopify to Segment and then using Google Analytics as a destination, you should also follow the steps in this guide to track first-time orders.
In order to get a complete picture of your subscription performance, we recommend having three separate views in your Google Analytics account so you can easily and accurately track each relevant metric.
- All Website Data – including raw data
- Recurring Orders – including all your orders (one time, first-time and recurring orders)
- First-time Orders – including only Shopify and Bold first orders
To create a separate Google Analytics view for only First-time Orders (so you can get an accurate ecommerce conversion rate), you will need to set up a custom filter to exclude recurring orders.
This is similar to what our app does automatically for ReCharge subscriptions.
- Go to Google Analytics settings, and in the top right create a new Google Analytics view.
- Under view settings, go to Filters.
- Create a new filter called
Exclude recurring orders.
- Select a Custom filter and Exclude based on the field ‘Ecommerce store or Order location’.
^recurring_order$as the filter pattern. Note the
^at the start and
$at the end.
- Verify the filter to check it matches how your Bold account is set up.